DIRECTOR HUMAN RESOURCES AND CIVIL SERVICE
City of Arlington, TX
Under nominal direction and through subordinate manages, plans, organizes, staffs and directs the activities of the City's Workforce Services Department ensuring successfully attainment of organizational goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to review special reports and studies prepared by staff and make final recommendations regarding the installation and improvement of personnel management practices in accordance with accepted personnel management principles.
2. Ability to plan long and short-term goals and objectives for the department and provide overall guidance and direction to staff to ensure achievement of same.
3. Ability to direct the preparation of departmental budget and authorize all expenditures.
4. Ability to direct the development and administration of the City's compensation and benefit plan which includes reviewing and approving salary adjustments and improvements to the City's benefit plans.
5. Ability to direct the development and administration of the City's employee retirement systems, serve as chairperson to the Retirement Committee and develop and recommend improvements to retirement plans in coordination with consultants.
6. Ability to direct the development and administration of financial planning systems such as deferred compensation programs and flexible benefit plans to assist employees in reducing tax liabilities.
7. Ability to direct the development and administration of a loss control and employee safety program to limit City liability and reduce employee injury which includes consulting with the City's risk management consultant, evaluate programs and approve compromise settlement agreements and lump sum awards relative to worker's compensation liabilities.
8. Ability to direct the development and administration of employee training and management development.
9. Ability to advise management at all levels on matters affecting employee morale and motivation.
10. Ability to consult with management on employee grievances; serve as hearing officer in disciplinary actions, discuss and provide advice on personnel problems and interpret policies and procedures on personnel related issues.
11. Ability to communicate with elected officials and officials of the City Manager's Office regarding personnel matters making recommendations for solutions and alternative courses of action.
12. Ability to perform final review of personnel policy and procedures revisions and interpret same for personnel in other departments.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Knowledge of objectives, methods and problems of public administration.
Knowledge of the purposes, techniques and problems of personnel administration.
Knowledge of public relations, recruitment, job evaluation, training, employee relations, benefits, safety and office management.
Skill in communicating conceptual or informative ideas to others in written and oral form.
Ability to make judgments/decisions based on known or obtainable standards, characteristics or dimensions.